Retail and Parking Garage
- Punta Gorda, Florida
The Bottom Line: HJ Foundation’s engineering, technical expertise and experience in auger pressure grouted displacement piles increased the pile load capacity resulting in a significant cost savings to the owner.
Engineering and Technical Expertise:
HJ Foundation was contacted by Owens-Ames-Kimball in the early design stages of the project. The contractor, architect, structural and geotechnical engineers relied on HJ Foundation’s technical expertise and experience in the installation of displacement piles to define design parameters for the project.
Increased Load Capacity:
HJ Foundation under direction from the client successfully implemented an early load test program to confirm capacities. The original design capacity of 65 tons was increased to 74 tons.
Early load testing facilitated the redesign of the project using the 74 ton capacity. The redesign resulted in a reduction of the piles required for the project with significant cost savings to the owner.
400+ augered displacement piles
16-inch diameter (74-ton compression piles)
Scope of Work:
- Pile load testing on (6) piles
- Production pile installation
- All grout
- Furnish & install pile rebar
- Stockpile and remove from the site all spoils for disposal
Firms Involved on the Project:
- Owner: City of Punta Gorda, Florida
- Contractor: Owens-Ames-Kimball Company
- Engineer of Record: TLC Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineer: Universal Engineering Sciences
- Inspections & Testing: Universal Engineering Sciences